Monday, July 23, 2007

thanks, but no thanks

Today a nice lady tried to yield to me.

I was stopped at the East entrance to the 14th/Newport Ave roundabout, she was in it from 14th looking to go West on Newport. She saw me waiting, so she slammed on her brakes. The car behind her slammed on his.

I appreciate her attempt to be nice to a cyclist, but she has a greater duty to the rest of the world to abide by the Oregon Revised Statutes, which include not stopping in a roundabout. That is against the law. Also, yielding to traffic when you have the right-of-way is illegal as well. The idea is to keep traffic flowing. I know she has the right of way, because I have the yield sign. People behind her are not expecting her to slam on the brakes at that location in the roundabout.

Her actions almost caused Johnny Q. Public to rear-end her. I appreciate the gesture, but...she needed to continue past and drive on. My stance did not change and she ended up fingering me and then driving up on the truck skirt to get around the circle. Had she driven correctly, none of that would have happened.

Had she been on a bicycle, we could have easily pulled over to discuss it.

No comments: