Monday, July 16, 2007

rolling home

On the way home today, a nice lady decided to yield to me as I approached the 14th/Newport Ave round-about. It was either that or slam on my brakes.

Granted, I could have looked back earlier, I could have stuck my arm out sooner...but perhaps we both could have been going slower. I concede my lack of attention as to merging. She waved me ahead with her free hand, which meant she was driving with no hands. Her other was engaged with her cell phone. She paid attention to her surroundings. She had that going for her. In return, I did not scowl at her.

I wonder sometimes if recipients of my scowl realize why they are on the receiving end. In Salem one afternoon poststudy group, I was tearing down Commercial/Liberty, rounding through the Northbound S-Curve, going faster than the speed limit. A Hummer H1 drove up alongside in the center lane and the trophy in the passenger seat was smiling at me. I mouthed something cutting edge about what *kind* of gas-guzzler she was in. The "O" her mouth described was rather rewarding.

I do not recall when I became aggro about gas-guzzling...maybe it was within the last seven years, around 2000, when I went blue.

That nice lady on the cell phone today was driving alone in an SUV. I could have offered her one of my bikes to ride instead. But she was busy driving on the phone.

Ciao.

No comments: