Tuesday, July 17, 2007

racing, but not racing

I can almost match traffic down Newport Ave in the AM. On my Felt road bike. My single-speed can only get to 22-24mph before it gets unstable from my ferocity. But I do not like to work that hard at pedalling.

Assume traffic is not speeding and I can match it or beat it during rush-hour. Better, one car trying to turn left can hold everyone up, getting me huge passing bonus. Woo Hoo. Plus they are all behind me as I get into the drops and cruise past Drake park on the way home.

Today, I saw two of Bend's finest staked out at River Rd and Galveston. I gave them a wave, as they could be scraping me off the pavement tomorrow for all I know. Traffic was very reasonable as it moved past the Johnnies Law.

I watched Hell on Wheels last night at the St. Francis (too funny that after years of repressed catholic education, I slurp beers in a converted catholic school). Man that movie was hard-core rockumentary about the 2003 Tour. I thought I biked hard. Those riders go harder, but they also get an LMT and more pasta.

Before the movie, I hoped for a speech about bike commuting, critical mass, political unrest, green, etc. I suppose that would have been preaching to the choir, given the target audience, but sometimes people need a nudge. Cool regardless.

I may not be on the Tour, but racing traffic is just as rewarding for now and validates what some already know: bike commuting is more efficient, especially in this town.

Giddiup.

No comments: