Sunday, August 26, 2007

dancing to heroin

Today I rode from Salem to St. Paul and back. 43.3 miles. Hwy 219 is sweet...nice big shoulders means plenty of room for my tubby arse to ride safely. I saw hordes of cyclists pedaling north.

I rode hwy 221 last Jan. up to Dayton and back, no shoulders, just a fog stripe. I saw no cyclists. Now I know why. 219 is like a dream. St. Paul is the halfway point to Tualatin, I think, so could be the route I take if I head to P-Town for the night. I was making 18mph into head winds on the up, and averaged 23mph on the ride south.

Post-ride, I am chillaxin in Lefty's Pizza over a Dead_Guy ale and all I can eat za. Currently, I am thinking of Soko and Kroon.

I also learned this week that True Faith by New Order is about heroin use. Sweet. Every time I dance(d) to that song, I dance to drug use. And not even good drugs. What is even crazier, the B-side to True Faith, nineteen63, was written from Jackie's perspective.

I remember the day I learned that my favorite 80's band, Alphaville, were heavy drug users. It was quite a blow...like learning that my parents _did_ have sex a fifth time, begetting my brother. What a disappointment. Do not get me wrong, I knew about New Order and drugs. That is no surprise.

But still, it is a disappointment. Like the one about my brother...well, not quite that bad.

No comments: